Monday, November 2, 2009

Project Two-Exaggeration

This is the second project-exaggeration.
For this project I am going to animate 4 different facial expressions.
I did more planning for this project and in the classroom we were told to draw people and exaggerate peoples features and expressions, not too much that it didn't look real because its got to look believable.

I made a lot of ideas but in the end I choose to do a simple cartoony character as I didn't want to get bogged down in the details of a proper human face as i wanted to concentrate more on the task of exaggeration. For referencing in the task i drew leshika in different expressions.
I then decided to go a bit simpler than that though so i could concentrate on what determines a happy face,sad face etc, so i made just a shape of a head and drew different expression,taking note of what made the face look happy,shocked or sad etc. I liked the more cartoony look of expressions as they be more exaggerated than human faces with still being believable.

The references that I used for this animation was that I got an image off a website called cartoonsmart.com which i found really useful because of the fact that the facial expressions are believable and its good to show how if you move something on the face just a bit it can be a big difference to the whole face for example like on the image sad and sadder, all that the artist has done is make the pupils bigger,some lines on the mouth and the eyebrows a bit closer but it does work.


For the final idea the facial expressions i decided to go with is:
1-Normal
2-Sad
3-Shocked
4-Happy
Then the animation goes back to normal so that it can loop.
I did like the end result of the animation even though it didn't loop because in the start of the animation when the normal expression goes into the sad I moved the face down to show the sadness more but then didn't realize to bring it back up again. I should have made the spacing a lot different too as most of it looks the same, it was only afterwards I clicked that I should have made it go faster from sad to shocked and a bit slower from shocked to smile.
Problems and solutions:

I need to spend more time planning so that i dont have to keep stopping to figure out what im going to do next.

Take more breaks-I should take more breaks as i found out that I get more tired im making more mistakes and then realizing afterwards thus taking more time to correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment